1. Introduction and Eligibility
Binding Agreement. These Terms constitute a binding agreement between you and Human Thread Foundation and its affiliates (“HTF,” “we,” “us”). “You” and “users” means all visitors to the Site. You accept these Terms each time you access the Site. If you do not accept these Terms, you must not use the Site. If you are under 18 years of age, you represent and agree that you possess the legal consent of your parent or guardian to access and use the Site.
Revisions to Terms. We reserve the right, at our discretion, to change these Terms on a going-forward basis at any time. Please check these Terms periodically for changes. We will use reasonable efforts to notify you of any material change, such as through sending an email to any email address you may have provided to us, by posting a notification on the Site, or other similar method. Modifications to these Terms will be effective upon the earlier of (i) your first use of the Site with actual notice of such change, or (ii) 30 days from our publication of such change. Notwithstanding the foregoing, any disputes arising under these Terms will be resolved in accordance with the version of these Terms that was in effect at the time the dispute arose. If you do not agree to the modified Terms, your sole and exclusive remedy is to terminate your account and you may no longer use the Site.
The terms “post” and “posting” as used in these Terms shall mean the act of submitting, uploading, publishing, displaying, or similar action on the Site
II. The Site
The “Site” means the website located at https://humanthreadfoundation.org and associated Internet services under HTF’s control. The Site provides an online platform for learning more about HTF and our initiatives, and to provide opportunities for visitors to help support our mission.
III. Eligibility to Use the Site
Children. No part of the Site is directed to persons under the age of 13. IF YOU ARE UNDER 13 YEARS OF AGE, PLEASE DO NOT USE OR ACCESS The SITE AT ANY TIME OR IN ANY MANNER.
Agent of a Company, Entity, or Organization. If you are using the Site on behalf of a company, entity, or organization (collectively “Organization”), then you represent and warrant that you:
1. are an authorized representative of that Organization;
2. have the authority to bind that Organization to these Terms; and
3. agree to be bound by these Terms on behalf of that Organization.
You agree to receive email from us at the email address you provided to us for customer service and marketing-related purposes. If you call us by telephone, we may record the telephone call for quality and training purposes.
Electronic Notices. By using the Site or providing Personal Information to us, you agree that we may communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues relating to your use of the Site. If we learn of a security system’s breach, we may attempt to notify you electronically by posting a notice on the Site or sending an email to you. You may have a legal right to receive this notice in writing. To receive free written notice of a security breach (or to withdraw your consent from receiving electronic notice), please write to us at [email protected].
V. HTF’s Content Ownership and Use
The contents of the Site include: designs, text, graphics, images, video, information, logos, button icons, software, audio files, computer code, and other HTF content regardless of form (i.e., whether video, paper, electronic or otherwise), whether tangible or intangible, or whether existing now or in the future (collectively, “HTF Content”). All HTF Content and the compilation (meaning the collection, arrangement, and assembly) of all HTF Content are the property of HTF or its licensors and are protected under copyright, trademark, and other laws.
License to You. The Site is licensed, not sold, to you. Subject to your complete and ongoing compliance with these Terms, we authorize you, subject to these Terms, to access and use the Site and the HTF Content solely for the personal use of the Site, at our discretion. Any other use is expressly prohibited. This license is non-transferable and revocable at any time without notice and with or without cause. Unauthorized use of the HTF Content may violate copyright, trademark, and applicable communications regulations and statutes and is strictly prohibited.
HTF Marks. “Human Thread Foundation,” the Human Thread Foundation logo, and other HTF logos and product and service names are or may be trademarks of HTF (the “HTF Marks”). Without our prior written permission, and except as solely enabled by any link as provided by us, you agree not to display or use the HTF Marks in any manner. You must preserve all copyright, trademarks, service marks, and other proprietary notices contained in the original HTF Content on any copy you make of the HTF Content. HTF retains all right, title and interest in and to all HTF Content.
VI. User Content and Our License to Use It
HTF Claims No Ownership. The Site may provide you with the ability to create, post, or share content (“Your User Content”). HTF claims no ownership or control over Your User Content. You or a third-party licensor, as appropriate, retain all copyright, patent, and trademark rights to any of the content you post on or through the Site. You are responsible for protecting those rights.
Waiver. By posting Your User Content to or through the Service you waive any and all rights of privacy, publicity, or any other rights of a similar nature in connection with Your User Content, or any portion thereof. To the extent any moral rights are not transferable or assignable, you hereby waive and agree never to assert any and all moral rights, or to support, maintain or permit any action based on any moral rights that you may have in or with respect to any of Your User Content you post to or through the Service, during the term of these Terms. You expressly release HTF and HTF’s agents, partners, subsidiaries, affiliates, licensees, successors, and assigns from any and all claims, demands, liabilities, or causes of action, whether now known or unknown, for defamation, copyright infringement, violation of moral rights, and invasion of the rights to privacy, publicity, or personality or any similar matter, or based upon or relating to the posting of Your User Content as authorized in these Terms.
You Acquire No Ownership of Others’ Content. You understand and agree that you will not obtain, as a result of your use of the Site, any right, title, or interest in or to such content delivered via the Site or in any intellectual property rights (including, without limitation, any copyrights, patents, trademarks, trade secrets, or other rights) in the content.
You Must Have Rights to the Content You Post. You represent and warrant that: (i) you own the content posted by you on or through the Site or otherwise have the right to grant the license set forth in these Terms, (ii) the posting and use of Your User Content on or through the Site does not violate the privacy rights, publicity rights, copyrights, contract rights, intellectual property rights, or any other rights of any person, and (iii) the posting of Your User Content on the Site does not result in a breach of contract between you and a third party. You agree to pay for all royalties, fees, and any other monies owing any person by reason of content you post on or through the Site. You also acknowledge and agree that Your User Content is non-confidential and non-proprietary.
The Site contains content from users and other HTF licensors. Except as provided within these Terms, you may not copy, modify, translate, publish, broadcast, transmit, distribute, perform, display, or sell any content appearing on or through the Site.
VII. Copyright Policy
The Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998 (the “DMCA”) provides recourse for copyright owners who believe that material appearing on the Internet infringes their rights under U.S. copyright law. If you believe in good faith that materials posted on the Site infringe your copyright, you (or your agent) may send us a “Notification of Claimed Infringement” requesting that the material be removed, or access to it blocked. The notice must include the following information:
1. A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the works that have been allegedly infringed;
2. Identification of the copyrighted work alleged to have been infringed (or if multiple copyrighted works located on the Site are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works);
3. Identification of the specific material alleged to be infringing or the subject of infringing activity, and information reasonably sufficient to allow us to locate the material on the Site;
4. Your name, address, telephone number, and email address (if available);
5. A statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and
6. A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
We may terminate the accounts and/or prevent content posting of users who repeatedly infringe copyright holders’ copyrights. A “repeat infringer” is a user for whom we have received two or more takedown notices.
If you believe in good faith that a notice of copyright infringement has been wrongly filed against you, the DMCA permits you to send us a counter-notice.
Notices and counter-notices must meet the then-current statutory requirements imposed by the DMCA; see http://www.loc.gov/copyright/ for details. Notices and counter-notices with respect to the Site should be sent to:
Human Thread Foundation
75 Pelican Way, Suite G
San Rafael CA 94901
or [email protected]. Consult your legal advisor and see 17 U.S.C. § 512 before filing a notice or counter-notice as there are penalties for false claims under the DMCA.
VIII. Suggestions and Submissions
We appreciate hearing from our users and welcome your comments regarding the Site. Please be advised, however, that if you send us creative ideas, suggestions, inventions, or materials (“creative ideas”), we shall:
1. own, exclusively, all now known or later discovered rights to the creative ideas;
2. not be subject to any obligation of confidentiality and shall not be liable for any use or disclosure of any creative ideas; and
3. be entitled to unrestricted use of the creative ideas for any purpose whatsoever, commercial or otherwise, without compensation to you or any other person.
IX. User Content Disclaimers, Limitations, and Prohibitions
We do not represent or guarantee the truthfulness, accuracy, or reliability of content, posted by users (“User Content”). You accept that any reliance on material posted by other users or third-party service providers will be at your own risk. By using the Site you accept the risk that you might be exposed to content that is objectionable or otherwise inappropriate.
You are solely responsible for Your User Content on the Site. HTF does not endorse any, nor is it responsible for, User Content on the Site. You assume all risks associated with Your User Content, including anyone’s reliance on its quality, accuracy, or reliability. You may expose yourself to liability if, for example, Your User Content contains material that is false, intentionally misleading, or defamatory; violates third-party rights; or contains material that is unlawful or advocates the violation of any law or regulation.
You agree to use the Site only for its intended purpose and in an authorized manner. You must use the Site in compliance with all privacy, data protection, intellectual property, and other applicable laws. The following uses of the Site are prohibited. You may not:
1. attempt to interfere with, harm, reverse engineer, steal from, or gain unauthorized access to the Site, user accounts, or the technology and equipment supporting the Site;
2. frame or link to the Site without permission;
3. use data mining, robots, or other data gathering devices on or through the Site, unless specifically allowed by these Terms;
4. post incomplete, false, or misleading information, impersonate another person, or misrepresent your affiliation with an individual or entity;
5. disclose personal information about another individual without his/her consent or harass, abuse, or post objectionable material;
6. sell, transfer, sublicense, or assign any of your rights to use the Site to a third party without our express written consent;
7. post advertising or marketing links or content, except as specifically allowed by these Terms;
8. use or access the Site if you are (or are engaged by) a competitor of HTF, except with our prior written consent, which we may withhold in our sole discretion and without explanation;
9. use or access the Site for purposes of monitoring its availability, performance or functionality, or for any other benchmarking or competitive purposes;
10. use the Site in an illegal way or to commit an illegal act in relation to the Site or that otherwise results in fines, penalties, and other liability to HTF or others; or
11. access the Site from a jurisdiction where it is illegal or unauthorized.
X. Consequences of Violating These Terms
Without limiting any other remedies, we reserve the right to suspend or terminate your access to the Site for any reason, at our discretion. We reserve the right to refuse to provide the Site to you in the future.
HTF may review and remove any User Content at any time for any reason, including for activity which, in its sole judgment: violates these Terms; violates applicable laws, rules, or regulations; is abusive, disruptive, offensive or illegal; or violates the rights of, or harms or threatens the safety of, users of the Site.
You are responsible for any claims, fees, fines, penalties, and other liability incurred by us or others caused by or arising out of your breach of these Terms and your use of the Site.
XI. HTF’s Liability
Changes to the Site. We may change, suspend, or discontinue any aspect of the Site at any time, including hours of operation or availability of the Site or any feature, without notice or liability.
User Disputes. We are not responsible for any disputes or disagreements between you and any third party you interact with using the Site. You assume all risk associated with dealing with third parties. You agree to resolve disputes directly with the other party. To the fullest extent permitted by law, you release HTF of all claims, demands, and damages in disputes among users of the Site. You also agree not to involve us in such disputes. Use caution and common sense when using the Site.
Content Accuracy. We make no representations about accuracy, reliability, completeness, or timeliness of any contents of the Site. Similarly, we make no representations about accuracy, reliability, completeness, or timeliness of any data from a third-party service provider or the quality or nature of third-party products or services obtained through the Site. Use the Site at your own risk.
Third-Party Websites and Applications. The Site may include links to third party websites and applications. You are responsible for evaluating whether you want to access or use them. We are not responsible for and do not endorse any features, content, advertising, products, or other materials on other websites or applications. You assume all risk and we disclaim all liability arising from your use of them.
Third-Party Functionality. The Site may allow you to use third-party content and functionality. You use such content or functionality subject to such third parties’ terms and conditions.
We make no promises and disclaim all liability of specific results from the use of the Site.
Released Parties Defined. “Released Parties” include HTF and its affiliates, officers, employees, agents, partners, and licensors.
A. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES
TO THE FULLEST EXTEND PERMITTED BY LAW, YOU EXPRESSLY UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT: (A) YOUR USE OF THE SITE AND ANY PRODUCTS OR SERVICES MADE AVAILABLE ON OR THROUGH THE SITE IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK, AND THE SITE AND ANY PRODUCTS OR SERVICES MADE AVAILABLE ON OR THROUGH THE SITE ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS AND THE RELEASED PARTIES EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, WARRANTIES AS TO PRODUCTS OR SERVICES OFFERED BY THE RELEASED PARTIES OR OTHER PERSONS ON OR THROUGH THE SITE, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT; (B) THE RELEASED PARTIES MAKE NO WARRANTY THAT (i) THE SITE OR ANY PRODUCTS OR SERVICES MADE AVAILABLE ON OR THROUGH THE SITE WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS OR EXPECTATIONS, (ii) THE SITE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE, OR ERROR-FREE, (iii) THE RESULTS THAT MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE USE OF THE SITE WILL BE ACCURATE OR RELIABLE, AND (iv) ANY ERRORS IN THE SITE WILL BE CORRECTED; AND (C) ANY MATERIAL DOWNLOADED OR OTHERWISE OBTAINED THROUGH THE USE OF THE SITE IS ACCESSED AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK, AND YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR MOBILE DEVICE OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE DOWNLOAD OR USE OF ANY SUCH MATERIAL.
B. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY AND INDEMNIFICATION
TO THE FULLEST EXTEND PERMITTED BY LAW, YOU EXPRESSLY UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT THE RELEASED PARTIES SHALL NOT BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, GOODWILL, USE, DATA OR OTHER INTANGIBLE LOSSES (EVEN IF RELEASED PARTIES HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES), RESULTING FROM: (i) THE USE OR THE INABILITY TO USE THE SITE OR ANY PRODUCTS OR SERVICES MADE AVAILABLE ON OR THROUGH THE SITE; (ii) THE COST OF PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS AND SERVICES RESULTING FROM ANY GOODS, DATA, INFORMATION OR SERVICES OBTAINED OR MESSAGES RECEIVED OR TRANSACTIONS ENTERED INTO THROUGH, FROM, OR AS A RESULT OF THE SITE; (iii) UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO, CORRUPTION OF, interference WITH, OR ALTERATION OF YOUR TRANSMISSIONS OR DATA; (iv) STATEMENTS OR CONDUCT OF ANY USER OR THIRD PARTY ON THE SITE; (v) YOUR RELIANCE ON CONTENT MADE AVAILABLE BY US; OR (vi) ANY OTHER MATTER RELATING TO THE SITE.
TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE RELEASED PARTIES’ COLLECTIVE MAXIMUM LIABILITY ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SITE OR YOUR USE OF HTF CONTENT, REGARDLESS OF THE CAUSE OF ACTION (WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT, BREACH OF WARRANTY, OR OTHERWISE), WILL NOT EXCEED $100. THE FOREGOING LIMITATIONS WILL APPLY EVEN IF THE ABOVE STATED REMEDY FAILS OF ITS ESSENTIAL PURPOSE.
Force Majeure. Under no circumstances shall HTF be held liable for any delay or failure in the Service directly or indirectly resulting from, arising out of, relating to or in connection with events beyond the reasonable control of HTF, including, without limitation, internet failures, equipment failures, electrical power failures, strikes, labor disputes, riots, insurrections, civil disturbances, shortages of labor or materials, fires, floods, storms, earthquakes, explosions, acts of God, war, terrorism, intergalactic struggles, governmental actions, orders of courts, agencies or tribunals or non-performance of third parties. The provisions of this paragraph are in addition to, and not intended to limit or modify, the limitations in this Limitation of Liability section as stipulated above.
Indemnity. To the fullest extent permitted by law, you agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless the Released Parties from and against any claims, actions, or demands, including without limitation reasonable legal and accounting fees, alleging or resulting from (i) your access or use of the Service, in a manner not authorized under these Terms, (ii) your use of or reliance on any third-party content, or (iii) your breach of these Terms. We shall provide notice to you promptly of any such claim, suit, or proceeding.
XII. Dispute Resolution and Arbitration
In the interest of resolving disputes between you and HTF in the most expedient and cost effective manner, you and HTF agree that every dispute arising in connection with these Terms will be resolved by binding arbitration. Arbitration is more informal than a lawsuit in court. Arbitration uses a neutral arbitrator instead of a judge or jury, may allow for more limited discovery than in court, and can be subject to very limited review by courts. Arbitrators can award the same damages and relief that a court can award. Our agreement to arbitrate disputes includes all claims arising out of or relating to any aspect of these Terms, whether based in contract, tort, statute, fraud, misrepresentation, or any other legal theory, and regardless of whether a claim arises during or after the termination of these Terms. YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT, BY ENTERING INTO THESE TERMS, YOU AND HTF ARE EACH WAIVING THE RIGHT TO A TRIAL BY JURY OR TO PARTICIPATE IN A CLASS ACTION.
1. Exceptions. Despite the provisions of this section, we both agree that nothing in these Terms will be deemed to waive, preclude, or otherwise limit the right of either of us to: (a) bring an individual action in small claims court; (b) pursue an enforcement action through the applicable federal, state, or local agency if that action is available; (c) seek injunctive relief in a court of law; or (d) to file suit in a court of law to address an intellectual property infringement claim.
2. Arbitrator. Any arbitration between you and HTF will be governed by the Commercial Dispute Resolution Procedures and the Supplementary Procedures for Consumer Related Disputes (collectively, “AAA Rules”) of the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”), as modified by these Terms, and will be administered by the AAA. The AAA Rules and filing forms are available online at www.adr.org, by calling the AAA at 1-800-778-7879, or by contacting HTF.
3. Notice; Process. A party who intends to seek arbitration must first send a written notice of the dispute to the other, by certified mail or Federal Express (signature required), or if we do not have a physical address on file for you, by electronic mail (“Notice”). HTF’s address for Notice is: Human Thread Foundation, 75 Pelican Way, Suite G, San Rafael, CA 94901. The Notice must: (a) describe the nature and basis of the claim or dispute; and (b) set forth the specific relief sought (“Demand”). We agree to use good faith efforts to resolve the claim directly, but if we do not reach an agreement to do so within 30 days after the Notice is received, you or HTF may commence an arbitration proceeding. During the arbitration, the amount of any settlement offer made by you or HTF must not be disclosed to the arbitrator until after the arbitrator makes a final decision and award, if any. If our dispute is finally resolved through arbitration in your favor, HTF will pay you the highest of the following: (i) the amount awarded by the arbitrator, if any; (ii) the last written settlement amount offered by HTF in settlement of the dispute prior to the arbitrator’s award; or (iii) $1,000.
4. Fees. If you commence arbitration in accordance with these Terms, HTF will reimburse you for your payment of the filing fee, unless your claim is for more than $10,000, in which case the payment of any fees will be decided by the AAA Rules. Any arbitration hearing, or other litigation, will take place at a location to be agreed upon in New York County, New York, but if the claim is for $10,000 or less, you may choose whether the arbitration will be conducted: (a) solely on the basis of documents submitted to the arbitrator; (b) through a non-appearance based telephone hearing; or (c) by an in-person hearing as established by the AAA Rules in the county (or parish) of your billing address. If the arbitrator finds that either the substance of your claim or the relief sought in the Demand is frivolous or brought for an improper purpose (as measured by the standards set forth in Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 11(b)), then the payment of all fees will be governed by the AAA Rules. In that case, you agree to reimburse HTF for all monies previously disbursed by it that are otherwise your obligation to pay under the AAA Rules. Regardless of the manner in which the arbitration is conducted, the arbitrator must issue a reasoned written decision sufficient to explain the essential findings and conclusions on which the decision and award, if any, are based. The arbitrator may make rulings and resolve disputes as to the payment and reimbursement of fees or expenses at any time during the proceeding and upon request from either party made within 14 days of the arbitrator’s ruling on the merits.
5. No Class Actions. YOU AND HTF AGREE THAT EACH MAY BRING CLAIMS AGAINST THE OTHER ONLY IN YOUR OR ITS INDIVIDUAL CAPACITY AND NOT AS A PLAINTIFF OR CLASS MEMBER IN ANY PURPORTED CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE PROCEEDING. YOU ARE GIVING UP YOUR RIGHT TO SERVE AS A REPRESENTATIVE, AS A PRIVATE ATTORNEY GENERAL, OR IN ANY OTHER REPRESENTATIVE CAPACITY, OR TO PARTICIPATE AS A MEMBER OF A CLASS OF CLAIMANTS, IN ANY LAWSUIT INVOLVING ANY SUCH DISPUTE. Further, unless both you and HTF agree otherwise, the arbitrator may not consolidate more than one person’s claims, and may not otherwise preside over any form of a representative or class proceeding.
6. Modifications. If HTF makes any future change to this arbitration provision (other than a change to HTF’s address for Notice), you may reject the change by sending us written notice within 30 days of the change to HTF’s address for Notice, in which case your access to the Service will be immediately terminated and this arbitration provision, as in effect immediately prior to the amendments you reject will survive.
7. Enforceability. If subsection 5 above is found to be unenforceable or if the entirety of this section is found to be unenforceable, then the entirety of this section XII will be null and void and, in that case, the parties agree that the exclusive jurisdiction and venue described separately in the Terms will govern any action arising out of or related to these Terms.
XIII. General Terms
Human Thread Foundation
75 Pelican Way
San Rafael CA 94901
Last Updated Date: May 14, 2018